How to study the Earth and our impact on it
To understand our planet better, how we alter it and to predict the coming global changes, we need to use an interdisciplinary approach. Earth System Science is a methodology that represents our planet in the form of highly interconnected spheres.
A bit like how doctors study different but interconnected organs in the human body, let’s study the various spheres which make up our planet and find out some of their associated scientific disciplines.
Earth System Science
Over the past 4 decades, our perception of planet Earth has deeply shifted. It is not a placid solid globe with limitless resources that we should harness. It is a dynamic planet in a constant evolution where the global energy balance must be preserved.
This knowledge has been acquired thanks to a multi-disciplinary academic approach called Earth System Science developed in the 80’s by NASA.
Earth System Science Education™
We have extended this Earth System Science approach to anthropogenic activities and adapted it to enable any audience, young or mature, to understand our planet Earth from a different and playful perspective: our compelling educational methodology represents the Earth as 7 strongly interconnected spheres:
- Hydrosphere: It is all the water found on planet Earth, in all its forms.
- Cryosphere: Acting as a regulating thermostat for the Earth, it represents the portions of the Earth’s surface where water is present in a solid state. It is a subset of the hydrosphere that represents all the ice on Earth.
- Biosphere which represents all the life from the microscopic bacteria to the giant blue whale
- Atmosphere: A layer of gases surrounding the planet.
- Lithosphere: the fine layer of earth, minerals and rocks that covers our planet and is also the lakes, rivers and oceans’ bed.
- Magnetosphere: A magnetic field acting as a shield which protects it from harmful cosmic rays.
- Technosphere also called Anthroposphere which is the human impact on the planet Earth and the innovative solutions to tackle our century’s challenges.
7 SPHERES® exploration
Through the 7 SPHERES, we recount the geography and physics of our planet. We highlight the Earth's uniqueness, such as the fact that it is the only planet in the Solar System with life, abundant oxygen, water in its 3 forms and plate-tectonic activity enabling the recycling of the nutrients that are essential to life.
We talk about how Earth's climate and ecosystem have developed over time and how events in the past provide clues for dealing with present and future impediments.
We discuss how human beings, their civilisation, economic and technological activities are shaping the planet, inducing global changes and challenges.
Being solution-focused, we promote Sustainable Development and the United Nations Global Goals and stress how they will enable us to tackle some of these impediments.
Furthermore, in our mini-encyclopaedic card-game 7 SPHERES®, for each sphere, we provide information on a variety of scientific specialities relating to that topic, such as Microbiology, Ethology or Paleotempestology.
All our card games are amazing opportunities to promote STEAM (Science Technology Engineering Art and Mathematics) subjects, arouse curiosity and encourage scientific vocations amongst the younger generations.